So this morning we woke up to more snow and -35 degree weather with the windchill. Now Maine in the winter does tend to be cold….but not Arctic cold! Of course on freezing mornings like this, you need a really warm and homey breakfast and what fits the bill better then homemade donuts! These Lemon Sugar Donuts go perfectly with a hot cup of coffee, tea or even cocoa and the hint of lemon is a gentle reminder that spring will be here before we know it. (At least I hope so anyway!)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup half & half
- 4 cups flour (about)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- vegetable oil for frying
- Heat oil in fryer to 350 degrees
- In a mixer, beat the egg well and add the sugar and the melted butter.
- Add 3 cups flour, baking soda and half & half gradually.
- If needed add the remaining cup of flour to make a soft dough that's easy to roll.
- Add lemon extract and nutmeg.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out circles with donut cutter, re-roll the scrap dough and continue cutting until dough is used up.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Roll in sugar if desired.